Join Us in the Fight Against Metastatic Breast Cancer
Welcome to A Sole Team For Vickie,
It is my honor and privilege to serve as the captain for A Sole Team For Vickie (ASTFV). For the previous eighteen years ASTFV has been a part of the Susan G Komen Triangle Race for the Cure. The reason, the race provided the best resource to raise money for Breast Cancer Research. However, starting in the fall of 2020, a better option came available which allows for more direct and efficient funding of Breast Cancer Research. It is entitled the Metastatic Breast Cancer Collaborative Research Initiative (MBCCRI). The MBCCRI is affiliated with Susan G Komen.
You are probably wondering what is the difference between the SGK Triangle Race and the MBCCRI. Both the Triangle race and MBCCRI main goal is to raise money to find a cure for Breast Cancer. The difference is in how the money is applied. Monies raised from the Triangle race are divided as follows; up to 75% of the money stays locally and is used for race administration expenses with the majority distributed out in the form of grants to organizations that support those who are being treated for Breast Cancer and for Breast Cancer preventive measures. At least 25% is sent to the Komen Dallas Headquarters. Headquarters then distributes monies in the form of research grants to various Breast Cancer Research Organizations throughout the country. As for the MBCCRI, only 10% of the money raised goes to cover admistrative costs. The remaining 90% goes to fund Breast Cancer Research at both UNC and Duke, working in collaboration on advanced scientific Breast Cancer Research Projects. UNC and Duke are highly regarded as two of the top Breast Cancer Research Facilities in the country.
The reason ASTFV made this change is the MBCCRI offers a more direct funding pipeline for Breast Cancer Research. Research, which is the goal of ASTFV and is more in line with keeping the promise both Dennis and myself made to Vickie. Research will find the cure for Breast Cancer and money makes research possible. We appreciate any support you can give us towards the MBCCRI. Thank you in advance for considering the MBCCRI as part of your charitable endeavor.
Please visit the website linked here to learn more about metastatic breast cancer and the MBCCRI initiative:
You can make a donation online with your credit card by clicking the button above my fundraising thermometer.
If you think this page contains objectionable content, please inform the system administrator.